School Resources for your Green Jay
As a new or returning parent to Western Academy please see the F.A.Q. below:
Western Academy uses the REMIND service to communicate with parents. Sign up to receive email or text messages from your son's homeroom teacher via the REMIND service.
Class codes are as follows:
Class 3A - @wa3a Class 3B - @wa3b
Class 4A - @wa4a Class 4B - @wa4b
Class 5A - @wa5a Class 5B - @wa5b
Class 6A - @wa6a Class 6B - @wa6b
Class 7A - @wa7a Class 7B - @wa7b
Class 8A - @wa8a Class 8B - @wa8b
To get TEXT notifications:
Join by text: text your sons class code to 81010
Join online: Visit Remind.com/join and enter the class code along with your mobile phone number. You'll get text notifications at the number you entered.
Get MOBILE APP notifications.
Download the mobile app for iOS and Android devices and create a new account (or log in if you already have one.) To join a class, tap the + by Classes Joined and either join with your class code or search for your class. You'll automatically get app notifications.
Get EMAIL notifications.
Join online: Visit Remind.com/join and enter the class code and your email address.
Join from your inbox: Send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (If the class code is @wa3a, for example, you'd send a blank email to email@example.com) You'll get a response with more instructions.
Math tutoring is available at WA on the following days. No appointment is required and there is no cost for this assistance.
Mr. Rahul Aggarwal (firstname.lastname@example.org) is available Mondays-Thursdays between 7:45am - 8:15am. (Location : Great Room)
Mr. Richard Gosselin (email@example.com ) is available Mondays-Thursdays between 3:30pm - 4:30pm. (Location : Science Study Room)
Volunteer at WA
If you have questions, please contact Tiffany Owens, WA Volunteer Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for volunteering at Western Academy.
A recent article by Sue Shellenbarger in the WSJ talks about the benefits of volunteering at your children's school. A small excerpt follows:
Making a Difference
- Try to build a positive relationship with your child’s teacher.
- Observe the teacher’s methods and rules and support them at home.
- Get to know the school staff, rules and curriculum.
- Learn other students’ names so you can talk with your child about them.
- Ask your child whether and how she wants you to volunteer.
- Set expectations that your child will do the best he can in school and in life.
- Learn about the curriculum so you can help your child choose courses and set goals.
- Set an example with your volunteer work that you’d like your child to emulate.
- Continue coaching your child on setting academic goals and college plans.
- Emphasize the process of learning over getting high grades or test scores.
- Show interest in school by participating in events or fundraisers.
- Talk about the rewards of being involved as a volunteer.
Shellenbarger, Sue (2018, August 2). Parents Volunteering at School Should Tailor Skills to Different Stages. Retrieved from http://www.wsj.com
2018-2019 WA Uniform Requirements (PDF) Ordering at Lands' End (PDF)
All Western Academy Uniform purchases are made thru Land's End. Our school code is 900145459. Click the link below to take you to the Land's End website.
You may also visit the local Land's End store located at 12524 Memorial Drive, Houston TX 77024 (map) to get help with sizing information for your Green Jay and placing orders via the in store kiosk.
Store Hours: M-Thr 10a-5p; Sat 10a-3p; Fri and Sun: Closed Phone #: (346) 214-2174
Lunch Program / Pizza Fridays
Pizza Friday is almost here! Beginning January 11, 2019, your son will be able to enjoy pizza on Friday for lunch. If you’re interested in signing up, please complete the attached pizza form and send in your check to the front office. The online payment option is not available at this time. All forms and payments are due by December 14, 2018.
Green Lane will not be offering lunch on Fridays beginning January 11, 2019. However, you won't have to pack a lunch if you sign up for pizza! The total for next semester is $55.00. For questions, please contact Corey Weiss.